He bursted onto the services scence by simply telling it like it is. He shared his personal service journey with the nation, and much to the dismay of the corporations, the nation nodded in agreement and shared their service disaster stories as well. The dirty laundry has been aired….
So where does a nation go from here? Do we allow it to be simply a ‘hype’…? Or do we as a nation of customers continue to bond together and challenge the current service norms…? Will corporations listen to the nation and take steps to make long-term changes to their service committements…? And if they do make change, who will lead the revolution and who will trail behind…?
2011 has the ability to be the year in which corporations take action and push the Netherlands forward, dare I say, onto the customer service playground as seen in other western nations. Or will they kick back and let the customers scream at the door…? None of us know the answer, but we are all surely interested in seeing how this all plays out!
I have identified 5 key service themes which represent where I think organizations can make the difference. During 2011 I will be writing about these service themes and providing you with examples, as seen worldwide, as well as in our own backyards. In no order of importance, the 2011 top 5 service picks are:
1. The Differentiated Service Strategy…make me feel special and make me feel like the only one!
2. Empathy, treat me like a king even when I am wrong.
3. The new workforce….generation X, Y, Z and A. Do you understand what motivates them?
4. The new workplace…my kitchen table is where I want to work (let’s face it, the coffee is always better at home)
5. Open up all digital interaction channels by investing in technology…the customer decides how they want to interact with the organization and that can range from email, to social media channels (twitter), to chat, or a user designed secure web portal.
Throughout 2011 the five themes will be discussed, debated, and used to demonstrate how the leaders are succeeding. I look forward to sharing my ideas about these themes and I look forward to hearing more about your ideas and views!